Frank

Developer Diary - October 13

Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:27 am

Balance is the Key

Today I want to talk to you about balance. About the balance between Heroes, but also about the balance between Races. There are some changes in Hero skills we are planning to make which aim to improve the overall balance in the game and improve the experience for all of you.
The first thing is that we are thinking the summon abilities seem to be too strong the way they are now. And this in turn makes the Humans stronger than the other Races at the moment, which is obviously not desired.
Many of you will know exactly what I mean, but for those who don't, let me explain a little. Usually, a battle formation will have tanky units in the front lines with damage dealers in the back lines, protected by the tanks. This is true not only for Humans but all other races as well. With the resurrect abilities range being rather big, we have been seeing a lot of players summoning footmen or cavalry right next to the opponents back lines and thereby completely changing the course of battle. This seemed a fun thing in the beginning, but with three of the summoning Heroes combined, it does have too big of an impact on the game play. And it is not only the game play of a single fight, really, but it has affected the way players plan their long-term strategy. We have been seeing players focusing on levelling up their summoning abilities rather than building up a real army. This leads to duels were one player leads real troops into battle, troops that have taken time and resources to train, and who can die and get injured, while their opponent practically fights with a virtual army and does not need to worry about losing their troops, as he can summon them again in the next battle, given he has enough energy to do so.
And of course, this is not what we intended. We think players should be rewarded for investing time and resources into building up their army; and while every duel can only have one winner, it should not be a frustrating experience for the defeated player. But don't panic just now, all you summoners out there! We are not taking these abilities away, just slightly adjusting the way they work. You will not be able to summon your units just anywhere, but summoned units will enter the battlefield from the back and have to walk/ride up into the thick of battle. This ensures the usefulness of a properly set up battle formation stays intact even when additional units are summoned by the enemy, and it should balance out the power of the races some more and lessen the advantage a Human army has over one of a different race.
Secondly, there are several Heroes that we think need some buffing done in order to stay competitive. We are not going to implement any dramatic changes, but will focus on improving certain stats to make their abilities a little more impactful. The Heroes that will be treated with smaller or larger buffs are Rufio, Avril, Vallari, Vega, Virion, Tiadrin, Gazul, Cleo, Rose, Grimms and Bane. You will get the full details in the patch notes, so I won't go through all of it here.
We will implement these changes on the PTR as soon as this Saturday and see how they play out. Please rest assured that we will be keeping a close eye on all of them and if anything does not work out the way we imagined, we will see what to do about it. As always, we are very appreciative of your feedback and we are looking forward to hearing what you think about this update. As you know, all of these changes intend to improve the overall balance in the game and make it an even better experience for everybody.
I want to thank all of you for your ongoing support, especially the brave souls that venture onto the PTR and regularly help us figure out what we have been doing right and what not. Much obliged indeed!

Lord D.