ChopSuey
Squire
Squire

Garrison - Gold Spears vs Gold Swordsmen

Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:29 am

I was wondering what you guys think is better for garrison, gold spears or gold swordsmen? I know gold swordsmen are significantly tankier with their shield ability and research upgrades, but they lack the stun that gives 30% increased damage and bonus damage to large/massive units that the gold spears get. Which do you think is better overall?

And for not so overall, if you're defending a dwarf castle, would gold spears go best since dwarf garrison's main weakness is cavalry?
Game: Art of Conquest Server: 36 Kingdom: Icarum House: Tiil Maus IGN: ChopSuey

Sargon
Knight
Knight

Re: Garrison - Gold Spears vs Gold Swordsmen

Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:57 am

ChopSuey wrote:
I was wondering what you guys think is better for garrison, gold spears or gold swordsmen? I know gold swordsmen are significantly tankier with their shield ability and research upgrades, but they lack the stun that gives 30% increased damage and bonus damage to large/massive units that the gold spears get. Which do you think is better overall?

And for not so overall, if you're defending a dwarf castle, would gold spears go best since dwarf garrison's main weakness is cavalry?

Are you trying to use excess mithril? Idk what resource dwarf doesn't use a lot of. A lot of people put cavalry on defense since they don't use their red gems and cavs charge in and one shot some of the attackers units off the bat. I'm a bit torn on it as well since spears will do up front burst + stun + cav counter, but swordsmen will stall out longer for your gunmen to get more headshots.

Blueynoes
Squire
Squire

Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:48 am

Im personally in favor of spearmen in the garrison. Works better against scorpions, and with the lack of mithril, a lot of humans are using horses + archers for sieges. You can always throw both in there though if you have the resources and see which ones does better.

Zinek
Baron
Baron

Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:54 pm

Spears get melted without any healing and hero support but you do need a few for horses.

ChopSuey
Squire
Squire

Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:43 am

Zinek wrote:
Spears get melted without any healing and hero support but you do need a few for horses.

So you think a mix then? But I already got Dwarf Engineers to mix in so maybe I just go spears on the human to help defend?

Fawksito
Knight
Knight

Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:46 pm

Spearguys are better, since the patch every unit that get a spear gets 30% more dmg a brief time, if you will put Gold Archers on walls, the ammount of dmg is insane
BOOM

Croft
Squire
Squire

Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:45 pm

ChopSuey wrote:

Some players will prob disagree but I found having a mass amount of silver tanks protects my walls very nicely as a dwarf you can't do this if you are F2P. I didn't leave the capital until I had 60 silver tanks in my wall and was one of the top 3 players on my server. It's the most compact and powerful troop in the game and very difficult to deal with 21 of them.

If you're making lvl 5 silver tanks and players have lvl 7 units, you should prob switch to human or have a strong human player defend you.

Some players put gold miners in their wall and they are very tanky and do great dmg but morale decline and poor ai is their downfall.

My 2 cents :)

ChopSuey
Squire
Squire

Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:24 pm

Croft wrote:
ChopSuey wrote:

Some players will prob disagree but I found having a mass amount of silver tanks protects my walls very nicely as a dwarf you can't do this if you are F2P. I didn't leave the capital until I had 60 silver tanks in my wall and was one of the top 3 players on my server. It's the most compact and powerful troop in the game and very difficult to deal with 21 of them.

If you're making lvl 5 silver tanks and players have lvl 7 units, you should prob switch to human or have a strong human player defend you.

Some players put gold miners in their wall and they are very tanky and do great dmg but morale decline and poor ai is their downfall.

My 2 cents :)

I remember having 12 level 7 gold tanks in my wall when the highest player on the server had level 8 troops. They died quite easily to a few attacks. Was not impressed at all.

Croft
Squire
Squire

Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:48 am

ChopSuey wrote:
I remember having 12 level 7 gold tanks in my wall when the highest player on the server had level 8 troops. They died quite easily to a few attacks. Was not impressed at all.

:D Well that confirms both my points - a full wall (miniumum 21) and higher level troops.

Sargon
Knight
Knight

Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:12 am

Croft wrote:
ChopSuey wrote:

:D Well that confirms both my points - a full wall (miniumum 21) and higher level troops.

If i ran my scorp spider into 21 tanks you'd probably lose all of them, and i may take a decent hit on my scorps, but you're going to lose wayyyy more in resources. If the tanks didnt perma death, which they absolutely should not since its a horrendous mechanic in this game, then they would be much better on defense. Anything wall related you want to be able to heal at the hospital, like a long term investment.