Zinek
Baron
Baron

Human archers vs rakan crossbow vs dwarf deadeye on wall

Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:49 am

Which is best in your opinion and why? Discuss.

Archers: high single target sustain damage

Crossbow: moderate/high single target with 30% chance to splash damage

Deadeye: 5% chance to one shot anything besides a turtle buffed by Gan.
My player guide for The Art of Conquest. If you have any questions feel free to ask them. You can find me here or on this forum or on the offical AoC discord just @Zinek

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=13293

Shu
Viscount
Viscount

Re: Human archers vs rakan crossbow vs dwarf deadeye on wall

Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:29 am

I would play with both Archers and Crossbows as they're flexible. And Deadeye would only be suitable to few units per troop in my opinion.

Crossbows have similar academy upgrades to Warlocks (Attack Range/Attack Speed) Having extra range doesn't benefit them on the wall. But since it gives extra splash to melee attackers I would say it would be good against players who rarely use catapults.

Archer upgrades with Attack Speed and Crit Chance which makes them still at the top of the food chain.

Zinek
Baron
Baron

Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:05 pm

I would like to do more testing but no one attacked my castle in over a month :(
My player guide for The Art of Conquest. If you have any questions feel free to ask them. You can find me here or on this forum or on the offical AoC discord just @Zinek

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=13293

Kryton13
Baron
Baron

Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:02 pm

I think that deadeyes are underrated. If it is a lich or another dwarf attacking then deadeyes do far better against scorpions/mechs, however for rakken and human attacking they are not as good.

Human archers are probably the best all around, i might be wrong about this but i think the rakkan crossbows gain a lot of strength from their active ability which cant be used on wall defense.
Realm 14
Faction: Neferak
House: 'The Autobots'
Player Name: 'Kryton13'
Race: Dwarf

9nines
Knight
Knight

Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:19 pm

I think the big buffs to wall crossbows is the lv6 skill that adds 30% more dmg to aoe shots along with the 30% bonus dmg for helping defend ally at lv7. basically these in my opinon along with the attack speed buff make these troops along the lines of mini grenade launchers in defence which would be well suited to fighting big groups of enemies such as spearmen or archer formations for humans as a example.Give them more to shoot at and they will have more chances at higher dps.

Hiems
Baron
Baron

Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:19 pm

I would say archers are better but snipers are by far the most annoying and they're too random for my tastes. I get random shoots on my backline against archers sometimes too, but against dwarf walls it happens 90% of the times I attack them and there's nothing I can do to prevent it because so far the only pattern to prevent it that I found, will keep changing with time. It looks like there's something related with the formation you use on sieges, I can decrease the chance of getting my backline getting sniped after long tests of formations and suicide attacks but 1 lvl more on units and I need to do it all over again, so, snipers are the most annoying for me by far, but not because they're better than archers but because they're random. It's a old thing that I've been trying to understand since the game release, but now that they're stronger it's becoming a pain in the ass.

I fought some gold crossbows and while they're not useless, I would say that even Mummies are better than them, or even blasters. The reason is that they're a mix of aoe and single target as you said and in the end they can't do both in a optimal way.

ddelucca
Baron
Baron

Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:14 am

I have to agree that snipers are way too random and by far the most annoying... sometimes they just decide to go for the sieges and gold archers right as the battle starts, before you notice it they stick in some random headshots and you take some unexpected losses before you are able to use hero skills reactively.

Against archers at least you are able to see who they are targeting by the stream of arrows and constant damage. But make no mistake, the archer dps is higher so if you aren't able to deal with the garrison quickly, you will most likely fully wipe.

Haven't faced any rakan wall yet so I have nothing to comment.

Shu
Viscount
Viscount

Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:27 am

One of the Deadeyes' advantage as well is you can't use Mana Barrier on their targets.

Hoffman72510
Baron
Baron

Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:03 pm

I’m a dwarf main so I’m probably being biased here but I think deadeyes are #1 for two reasons. One is their headshot ability puts a serious hurting on units like Calvary and scorpions. The second reason isn’t really based off their own merit but it’s because when combined with bombardiers on the wall dwarf has the best of both worlds.

Pre dwarf buff patch I would have said human/archer hands down. My rakan haven’t been tested yet so I have no idea but without the active they aren’t as strong as other ranged units.

alcapwned
Squire
Squire

Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:29 pm

How your wall units synergize with the rest of your garrison is important, both in terms of splitting costs evenly between the 3 rare resources as well as how they perform in battle.

I like to main lich, but lich doesn't have great wall units, nor do they have great options for spending diamonds. If you want the strongest garrison possible as lich you need to race swap, and lich/dwarf seems to be the best combination out there: scorps and spiders on the ground with deadeyes on the walls. Not only does this split your rares evenly, but these 3 units work really well together. Spiders do a great job dealing with fragile swarm units, while deadeyes do a great job dealing with large tanky units. Scorps are great tanks and do massive damage to mechs, which spiders and deadeyes both have some trouble dealing with.