Rajjeq
Knight
Knight

November 10 Developer Diary Allies

Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:40 pm

Hengli wrote:

With your Allies – Against the World

When was the last time you talked to a Lord from a different Kingdom? Was it a friendly exchange? Did you make jokes about those blokes from that other third Kingdom? Or was it more something in the direction of “Here, talk to my sword! Or why don’t you have a little dance with this pack of golden Dunelords that are already rubbing their claws out of pure joy to meet you”?

Interactions between opposing players happen, and while most of them will probably go more like the latter example, chances are you have had a few encounters with so-called enemies that did not turn into a bloody mess. You may even have tried to pull some diplomatic aces out of your sleeves and proposed some kind of truce or non-aggression-pact.

We have seen this happen, and not only between individual players, but also between Houses or even Kingdoms. We love the fact that you players have implemented diplomacy before the game even officially supported it! And why not? It makes sense for two or three smaller Kingdoms to join forces to better hold their own against the overwhelming aggressor. To us, it is amazing to see that some players actually spend a lot of time engaging in diplomacy while others focus on war efforts. These diplomats are already there, and they are helping their Kingdoms by forging alliances that keep them safe.
We are planning to make alliances between Kingdoms easier and a bit more formal now. Instead of relying on mere oral agreements, Kings will be able to officially sign these treaties and they will have a more visible impact on the game, too. The non-aggression-pacts will be signed by the Kings of two or more Kingdoms and remain intact until one of these Kings either loses their throne or unilaterally cancels the agreement.

While the NAP is intact, though, players of the respective Kingdoms will see notable changes when travelling outside of their own Kingdom. While on the territory of an allied Kingdom, players will not suffer any speed reduction, and in fights, their troops will have an injury rate of 100%, just like on your home turf. On the other hand, you cannot attack their cities nor challenge their players for a duel. Except for Dungeons and Mines which are not shared between allied Kingdoms, the territory of your allies feel pretty much the same as your own lands do.

We think, except for the ease of travelling and the general sense of security that comes with a part of the players not being able to attack you or your city, the biggest advantage of this set up lies in the possibility of coordinated defenses. As your troops won’t die any more, you and all your Kingdom can now help defend your allies’ cities against attacks from stronger Kingdoms. What a single Kingdom cannot do alone, maybe two or three can achieve together. A city that the few remaining stronger players of one battered down Kingdom cannot hold might just be saved by a few loyal allies’ intervention. What do you think?

We are very excited to see how this will play out and we can’t wait to hear your feedback! Thanks!

Hengli: While conceptually this seems like a good idea, the key problem is enemy kingdom alts. Right now, if Hyral is allied with Skarn and fighting Neferak, if a Neferak has a Hyral alt to scout/plunder, we can call on our Skarn allies to kill them and deny them cities. Under your new plan, our "official" Skarn allies will no longer be able to touch these alts. How would we solve this problem?

Maybe add a feature allowing the king to mark his same color enemy alts as persona non-grata, attack-able by both his same color and allies.

sunbow
Baron
Baron

Re: November 10 Developer Diary Allies

Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:01 pm

could be easily abused to mark non alts.

alts are the thing the team has to focus on, more than anything else.
on 41 this is just a joke and many players quit because of it.

alts flood other kingdoms to unlock their super-kingdom without dropping (at least big) cities and even worse, alts flood kingdoms before king votes to ensure to have control about who gets king. the "king trap" is also a thing: flood a kingdom with als, vote a player you don't like as king so he may not migrate for a week, then open a window.

addressed this in another topic and it just gets ignored...

Fawksito
Baron
Baron

Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:10 pm

This is just awesome, they are really trying to solve the problems that migration open, by making the game far more oriented to team play. \

Everyone is complaining about kingdom alts, just get some alts and farm... also,getting almost 100k or each rrss per alt is not even noticeable, atm i make 50k rrss daily with mines, so meh, i dont think is such a problem. Those kind of cheap play dont work against a organized front (they also made some changes on the king thing.
BOOM

Rajjeq
Knight
Knight

Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:20 pm

Alts are a problem in other ways also. Alts can check who is defending who. We also have this person who parks their alt next to a city and logs out their main there, and uses the alt to scout for when the coast is clear to log on and attack. then they attack while scouting, and log out midbattle if anyone approaches so they cannot be dueled away.

sunbow
Baron
Baron

Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:48 pm

suggested months ago that defense details should only be visible be house members:
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=13042

unlocking kingdoms with alts and using them to manipulate king votes is the biggest deal.

FBSM
Knight
Knight

Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:42 pm

I may need to see how this plays out first to be convinced. Because currently, I don't think this is what the game needs.

If you are already part to a coordinated team, this new feature may not be so useful (okay, the 100% injury rate and speed boost is pretty cool). But it can limit some players' plundering opportunity based on a single person decision, which can be pretty sucky. Not everyone likes alliances.

There should be an option for a house to opt-out from king's treaty. One element that I like in AoC is those renegade houses that answers to noone, including the King. This feature will kill it.

TheOneTrueMorty
Squire
Squire

Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:27 pm

Official alliances sounds like a terrible idea

Fawksito
Baron
Baron

Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:04 pm

TheOneTrueMorty wrote:
Official alliances sounds like a terrible idea

Why ?
BOOM

Cheerios7204
Baron
Baron

Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:18 am

I think it's a great idea! However there are things that should have been done first. Like nerfing Jacques or server merges for all the dead servers. How am I supposed to get excited about this feature when it could have been useful 3 months ago when I had a new server but now there's only one kingdom left really
Realm: S60
Kingdom: Skarn

Bobby
Knight
Knight

Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:35 am

This is basically what i suggested in my demolish kingdom post. Now what they need to do is actually demolish all kingdoms and let houses fight for teritory and make alliances like this