GarrettNelson
Squire
Squire

[Guide] Detailed New Players Army Formation Guide

Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:40 pm

I created this guide because some people in my house were asking about formations. This guide should help new players position there army. I have also included pictures of the formations and lists of what troops are good where. I hope you find this guide helpful and if you have any questions feel free to ask me! (After posting this I saw the images would not pop up on my iPhone. If you cant see the images and would like to see them use a computer. The images are army formations.)

The battlefield: When fighting in AoC you want to make sure you have the best formation depending on where you are fighting. If you are fighting on your land your troops have a 100% chance of being injured not killed. So if your unit is struck down in a fight on your land they wont die they will just need to be healed at the hospital. Lich skeletons, mummies, acolytes, and all other tiers of those units die if struck down in combat. They can't be healed so make sure to be careful on when you use them. Dwarf battlemechs and all other tiers of battlemechs also die if struck down no matter where they are. On enemy land there is a 70% chance of being injured after combat. On there land you will really want to be careful on who you fight and what units you use during the fight. You don't want to lose your good troops from unlucky fights on enemy land. My rule of thumb is to attack enemies on your land with your strongest units. In enemy territory I only use my strongest units if I am 100% sure I can win if not I use weaker more expendable units that don't matter as much.

Step 1: The Front line- The front line of your army should consist of high health units that can protect your more squishy damage dealing troops. Think of them as a wall standing between you and your enemy. It should look something like this:

Step 2: Squishy Units: These units are your main source of damage.They also are all ranged so they can attack from behind the frontline. Because of this they are easy to kill which means they need a strong front line to protect them. Humans have support units called healers which also fit into this category but they focus more on healing not damage. You should put them in everywhere behind your front line. It should look something like this:

Step 3: Heroes: Heroes are more flexible. They can be damage, support, or front line. Some of the heroes can even be all three Where you put your heroes relies on what hero it is and what you prefer. I like my heroes in the back so they can provide support with abilities without risk of being killed. But that is just my opinion. Some heroes would be great up there in the front. Just keep in mind the the risk of them being injured. Here are some places where you can put your heroes:

Good units for Front line: Good frontline units mainly need high health. Here is a list of good units for the front line:

Human:
    Spear men -Hoplite - Centurion
    Footman- Swordsman-Legionnaire
    Lancers- Crusader- Templar (Note- Good on flanks against weaker units)
Dwarf:
    Miner- Technician- Engineer
    Mechsuit- Mechwalker- Battlemech
Lich:
    Sandstinger- Bloodclaw- Dunelord
    Marauder- Ravager- Stalker (Note- These are semi front line because they are close range damage but at the same time they are a super squishy unit. I would highly recommend putting this behind a different front line unit because they don't have the highest health but they are really good at protecting you from cavalry.)

Squishy Units: These squishy units are your main source of damage. Here is a list of squishy units:

Human:
    Archer- Long bowman- Feather bowman
    Priest- Abbess- Saint
    Catapult- Mangonel- Royal Hammer (Note- These are siege units so they excel at hitting walls but not so much at attacking normal units.)
Dwarf:
    Rifleman- Sharpshooter- Deadeye
    Blaster- Rocketeer-Bombardier
    Tanks- Destroyer- Excelsior
    Cannon- Enforcer- Thunder Fist (Note- These are siege units so they excel at hitting walls but not so much at attacking normal units.)
Lich
    Acolyte- Occultist- Warlock
    Mummy- Conjurer- Necrolyte
    Spider- Venomweaver- Broodmother
    Ballista- Demolisher- Corpse Wagon (Note- These are siege units so they excel at hitting walls but not so much at attacking normal units.)

Note: I am by no means a expert of AoC if there is any information you think should be changed let me know and i will think about adding it in. If you don't agree with this guide keep in mind this is my opinion. The game can change at any give time I will try to keep up with it by making changes as i see fit to this guide. I hope this helped some of you increase your effectiveness in the game. I appreciate any and all feedback.
Sincerely,
Garrett

Hiems
Knight
Knight

Re: [Guide] Detailed New Players Army Formation Guide

Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:07 pm

I wouldn't recommend using heroes on the front, only for some low lvl quests and maybe for some sieges if you really want to save some units, but even then it's a high risky move. The reason why you want your heroes on the far back is because they die too easily (on sieges maybe they don't, because it seems like there's a pattern that when your heroe loses around 80% of the hp, the wall units will change the focus, but then there's the risk of them being bursted down before it or killed by the front line, it works well until silver archers on the wall or if your heroe is some good lvls ahead) and if they die it's a guarantee moral boost for the enemy, and then enemy will just faceroll your troops. Just as a example, that's the reason why Rufio is so bad, because to use him properly you need to jump on the enemy backline (or on the enemy heroe who is casting something) and usually he will die and moral boost the enemy troops, and you don't want it.

Now, about Lich, it's sad to say but there's no much workaround. You need scorps on the front and spiders on the back with your heroes on the middle (there are some slightly variants but I personally don't like them, and the one I use now is only Avalon on the back and one spider on the middle to buff 3 spiders with war horn on a 14/15 field). Skeletons will always be used only as a sacrifice unit when you're going against other Lich and the other units are just bad or not even close to the power scorps/spiders will bring to the table.

GarrettNelson
Squire
Squire

Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:07 pm

Hiems wrote:
I wouldn't recommend using heroes on the front, only for some low lvl quests and maybe for some sieges if you really want to save some units, but even then it's a high risky move. The reason why you want your heroes on the far back is because they die too easily (on sieges maybe they don't, because it seems like there's a pattern that when your heroe loses around 80% of the hp, the wall units will change the focus, but then there's the risk of them being bursted down before it or killed by the front line, it works well until silver archers on the wall or if your heroe is some good lvls ahead) and if they die it's a guarantee moral boost for the enemy, and then enemy will just faceroll your troops. Just as a example, that's the reason why Rufio is so bad, because to use him properly you need to jump on the enemy backline (or on the enemy heroe who is casting something) and usually he will die and moral boost the enemy troops, and you don't want it.

Now, about Lich, it's sad to say but there's no much workaround. You need scorps on the front and spiders on the back with your heroes on the middle (there are some slightly variants but I personally don't like them, and the one I use now is only Avalon on the back and one spider on the middle to buff 3 spiders with war horn on a 14/15 field). Skeletons will always be used only as a sacrifice unit when you're going against other Lich and the other units are just bad or not even close to the power scorps/spiders will bring to the table.

I agree with you 100%. Heroes typically unless you are low level arent good front line which is why i said i like them in the back. But you can still put certain heroes there if you want thought they will probably just die. For lich i also agree when you said the skeletons arent good frontline. But they arent ranged so in my opinion they would classify as semi frontline like i said in the post. I also agree when you said lich scorpions are the only viable frontline unit and spiders are the main damage unit. No other lich unit is good uprfront and the spiders are easily the strongest for damage in the game.

Hiems
Knight
Knight

Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:27 pm

GarrettNelson wrote:
Hiems wrote:

I agree with you 100%. Heroes typically unless you are low level arent good front line which is why i said i like them in the back. But you can still put certain heroes there if you want thought they will probably just die. For lich i also agree when you said the skeletons arent good frontline. But they arent ranged so in my opinion they would classify as semi frontline like i said in the post. I also agree when you said lich scorpions are the only viable frontline unit and spiders are the main damage unit. No other lich unit is good uprfront and the spiders are easily the strongest for damage in the game.

Don't get me wrong, I like your guide and it will give light to new players. Just wanted to explain a bit more about heroes on the front in case someone was thinking about it, because on 99,9% of the cases it's overkill.

NEFERAK555
Knight
Knight

Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:36 am

Many more effective ways of using troops

it must be confidential or else tbey will know.

RAKKAN UNFERTH. SYLPH

REALM52
http://playroweb.com
KINGDOM OF ATHALY

NEFERAK555
Knight
Knight

Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:39 am

Many more effective ways of using troops

like using more undead thematics as U hav said!

RAKKAN UNFERTH. SYLPH

REALM52
http://playroweb.com
KINGDOM OF ATHALY

Rashar
Baron
Baron

Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:57 am

came here for detailed information about formation...

All I see is rather obvious things...

What I was hoping to see was talk about cookie cutter formations for the races.

GarrettNelson
Squire
Squire

Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:19 am

Rashar wrote:

Its beginner stuff for people who have never played a game like this. And all races follow this basically so i don't see a difference between what you want. I gave you information at the end about what unit goes good where and pictures explaining it. There are so many combinations of formations that i did basics for NEW players.

Cheerios7204
Baron
Baron

Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:04 am

Rashar wrote:

Rashar, why don't you start the discussion off and show us some of your formations?
Realm: S60
Kingdom: Skarn

Zinek
Baron
Baron

Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:38 am

Rashar wrote:

Try reading my guide it's on this forum I discuss unit formations in the race section. I went into some detail but I didn't want to go into an essay for each unit since I was already restricted by character count.