Hiems
Baron
Baron

The giant units on siege bug

Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:20 am

When a giant unit die and leave the body behind, the troops will be stuck on the body. Sometimes it happens with a whole pack of frontline troops, they just keep running in circles, stuck on the giant unit or standing in front of it until the battle ends. Very frustrating if there's archers on the wall.

edit:

Another one, with timer:

I would like to make a video but since I can't, I hope that someone else can do for us.
Last edited by Hiems on Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Parugeon
Knight
Knight

Re: The giant units on siege bug

Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:50 am

Unfortunately this isn't a bug. While exspensive to do it does make for a pretty effective defense line. All races have giant units so anyone can do.

Would suggest taking some siege units with you when attacking castles to take down archers on walls and save a few extra troops

Hiems
Baron
Baron

Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:55 am

Parugeon wrote:
Unfortunately this isn't a bug. While exspensive to do it does make for a pretty effective defense line. All races have giant units so anyone can do.

Would suggest taking some siege units with you when attacking castles to take down archers on walls and save a few extra troops

I know how to play, I know how to kill archers, and I know how to use 3 catapults. Those are replays from other players since I'm only waiting for the new server to join with my old house, but that's not the point.

Do you really think it's intended that a whole pack of swordsman will just stand in front (or even worse, inside) of a giant unit's body while archers drop a rain of arrows on their heads instead of going to the side to attack the wall? Have you seen the animation when those units try to walk away from the catapult? That's stupid, sorry. Doesn't make any sense. It's clearly a problem with the AI code. lol
If you're talking about filling the whole wall with giant units body, fine, they wouldn't be able to reach the wall. But that's not even realistically possible and that's not even what I'm talking about. I'm talking about units being »stuck« »inside« of those giant units. Please, look at the last screenshot and see Virion running right to the only catapult on the field with a whole wall free for him, and then being stuck.

Also, no, catapults are terrible for defense.

Parugeon
Knight
Knight

Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:23 am

Yeh I understand perfectly well what your saying. While I agree with you its kinda stupid it is present not only with a giant corpse. Tanks and spiders will not allow troops past them whether attacking or defending. Literally stick anything behind a wave of them and your troops do the same. You can effectively trap bosses doing the same thing with only 4-5 if placed correctly.

Agreed cats are but like you have experienced put some good archers on walls and watch attacking force die. Even npc castles in cities have garrisons like this, I cleared first wave of dwarf castle and it was all tanks except for walls. Thank God was dwarf because not a single attacker made it to the wall and sharpshooters ran out of ammo quickly

Hiems
Baron
Baron

Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:35 am

But that's the point, while you think it's intended, I don't. I think it's a AI problem and should be fixed as soon as possible because sometimes it's gamebreaking as you said. Tanks and spiders are giant units too, and while they leave the dead body behind, I can't see any reason that should be intended to my units be stuck inside a spider or in front of them when they have the whole field to walk and do whatever they're supposed to do (they can't even walk to the other side, like, coming to the side where your troops start). Like on the screenshot, a wheel on the side of the catapult made Virion get stuck for the whole siege doing nothing, just standing there watching the wall, he wasn't even in front of the catapult this time and was the first to reach it before the swordsman on the right side coming. Besides that, I would like to address that I don't think it's intended because sometimes your units will go away and not be stuck.

Zinek
Baron
Baron

Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:28 pm

It is intended I asked the devs directly months ago and got it confirmed this is an intended feature to have giant unit Corpses used as walls to have more in depth strategy when fielding armies. Without this feature I can't have my tanks die in frontline on purpose to block enemy melee from my rockets so I can kill the enemy.

Not that this works now with the summon legions ability meta shift.
My player guide for The Art of Conquest. If you have any questions feel free to ask them. You can find me here or on this forum or on the offical AoC discord just @Zinek

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=13293

Hiems
Baron
Baron

Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:17 pm

Zinek wrote:
It is intended I asked the devs directly months ago and got it confirmed this is an intended feature to have giant unit Corpses used as walls to have more in depth strategy when fielding armies. Without this feature I can't have my tanks die in frontline on purpose to block enemy melee from my rockets so I can kill the enemy.

I wouldn't mind if they're used as walls, that units walk around like they do with Avril's wall. But walls with "glue"? That doesn't make sense... if it's indeed intended, then I can change my post to "this mechanic is just stupid and should be changed".

Zinek
Baron
Baron

Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:49 am

Hiems wrote:
Zinek wrote:

I wouldn't mind if they're used as walls, that units walk around like they do with Avril's wall. But walls with "glue"? That doesn't make sense... if it's indeed intended, then I can change my post to "this mechanic is just stupid and should be changed".

The reason why they get stuck is because the ai believe there is space for it to move forward but there isn't so it is really bad programming where yea I agree would be nice if they acted like ice wall.
My player guide for The Art of Conquest. If you have any questions feel free to ask them. You can find me here or on this forum or on the offical AoC discord just @Zinek

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=13293

ZackaClay
Squire
Squire

Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:52 am

The playing method of the famous game art of conquest is described here in detail, so you have to know that when any character dies then his body will stuck in your way. you may also get research paper writing help for this purpose.