Radixz
Squire
Squire

Commander skills in a rally

Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:07 am

Hello everyone!

I've been playing and enjoying RoK for a couple of weeks now, and there's a game mechanic that I'm not entirely sure that I understand, and so far I haven't been able to find clarification anywhere.

Here's the cause of my confusion:
After reviewing some battle-logs from a couple of barbarian fortress rallies, it seems like only the commanders belonging to whoever is leading any particular rally are the ones who use their active or passive skills. Now, I may be wrong about that, but if I'm correct, I don't understand why the members in my alliance use two commanders when they join a rally instead of using just one commander to bring troops since apparently their commanders won't be using their abilities anyway.

So, here are my two questions:
1. Does every commander in a rally use abilities, or is it just the two commanders belonging to whoever is leading the rally?
2. If only the two commanders leading the rally use abilities, why does everyone in my alliance join rallies with two commanders and not just one?

Thank you in advance for any help :)

HerrWahnsinn
Knight
Knight

Re: Commander skills in a rally

Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:52 am

Yes, only the commander(s) of the player leading the rally use their skills, and only the first commander of that pair uses their talents.

There are a number of reasons why participating players send 2 commanders, despite their skills and talents not being used in the fight:
- to bring a larger army (commanders like Scipio, Osman have skills that increase army capacity. Recommended as 2nd commander)
- to bring the army faster (sometimes the walk to the rally leader city is a bit long, so some mobility can be useful)
- because the game sends two by default and they can't be bothered deselecting the 2nd commander

I honestly think the 3rd reason is the most frequent one. And that's silly because the 1st reason is the only way you can make the rally stronger with your 2nd commander as participant, but it's often overlooked because the game doesn't autoselect a +% max army capacity commander as 2nd commander.
0----{==========> Misfit Ass Kickers United [MF89], kingdom 1093 <==========}----0

Radixz
Squire
Squire

Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:15 pm

Thanks! That actually makes a lot of sense!

Daer
Squire
Squire

Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:24 pm

As a follow up Question, I would like to know if the Primary commanders Skills do anything for my troops or the raid? Cleo's healing as an example.. If she is my primary commander in a Raid, but I am not the raid leader, will she still heal MY troops. Or to look at it another way. Other than number of troops I send.. does the commander(s) I send matter? or will I get the same results no matter what commander i send in a raid, if I am not leading it.

HerrWahnsinn
Knight
Knight

Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:04 am

Basically my first answer in this thread answers your question.

If you are joining a rally, the only skills (of both) and talents (of primary) that matter are +% march speed (to arrive at the leader's city faster, once you're in the big rally it no longer works) and +% army capacity (you will send more troops to the rally). So no, your Cleo healing will not work.

There is one caveat here: PvP rallies. During the travel towards the rally leader's city your army is on it's own. Any PvP during that journey will of course be totally governed by your commanders. And, more importantly, this also applies to the journey home after you've hit your target.
0----{==========> Misfit Ass Kickers United [MF89], kingdom 1093 <==========}----0

Gwarlak
Squire
Squire

Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:41 am

Ive got one for you. Assuming I'm joining a rally, to my tech buffs still apply to my troops or will the rally leaders take priority even if they may ne lower?

HerrWahnsinn
Knight
Knight

Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:43 am

Enter your "Victory" battle report of a fort rally, and click on the "Troop buffs".

You will see the troop buffs, based on the Rally leader and their two commanders. You don't see a breakdown of these buffs, so you can't tell what part comes from individual tech, commander, building property, alliance tech, buffs. But it's clear that it's all based on the rally leader.

I would not pick a rally leader based on individual tech as a determining factor though. What commanders you have, how strong they are and castle level are the main factors, they are far more significant.